October 29, 2014

Managing Emotions Part 1: Emotions Are Mean Little Boogers!

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,"  2 Corinthians 10:5



A while back, I was given the opportunity to guest teach a youth girl's class at my church on the topic of managing emotions.  I was thrilled to be assigned this lesson because it's an area of my life I've really been working on over the last couple of years. 

Now, with that being said, there are still moments you could speak to me and think, "She's come a long way in learning to control her emotions???  Yikes, what was she like before?"  That's why I mercifully claim the scriptures above, Philippians 3:13-14, as my life verses; I think they perfectly summarize our Christian journey.  I haven't obtained perfection in managing my emotions but I am pressing forward and seeing progress with each passing day.  Hey, it's not easy breaking a habit that's dug in over 30+ years (don't ask how many pluses!). 

But, I'm determined to exit the emotional roller coaster once and for all and resist all future rides.

I shared with those sweet and crazy girls an example of how terrible it would be to have an unstable boss at work.  Someone who's up one minute, down the next.  Someone who lies constantly, stirs up trouble where there is none and is just simply unpredictable.  None of us would want to be managed by someone like that and yet many of us are...our emotions.

Emotions are based on feelings and feelings aren't stable!  Feelings are unstable because they can be easily swayed by so many things:

  • our circumstances
  • who we are around and their attitudes
  • how much rest we've been getting or not getting
  • our insecurities
  • hormones
  • other's opinions of us
  • how we feel physically
  • how much time we've spent with God                    
                                                                                                the list is endless!

Not only are emotions unstable, but they also lie:

  • emotions can convince you a friend is angry with you when really, they are just having a bad day and it has nothing to do with you
  • they say you aren't good enough, aren't liked or accepted when nothing could be further from the truth
  • they convince you someone was talking bad about you when you entered the room when they were actually saying how much they love your outfit
  • they whisper that things will never get any better and that you can't change when God's word clearly offers hope to the contrary

You get the picture.  Emotions can be mean little boogers!

So, if emotions are unstable and lie, why are we so easily lead by them?

We'll tackle that question tomorrow but until then, I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and struggles with emotions. I could use all the insight you are willing to pass along.  

No comments:

Post a Comment